By: Kim Dunne, Media Manager
On April 27 Utica Safe Schools is holding its 8th Annual Build-A-Bike event at the Utica Memorial Auditorium. The event starts at 10 a.m.
Girl Scout troops can help support the event by donating bikes and bike parts, bike helmets, bike locks, bike mechanics and by volunteering their time to help out at the event. Troops are also asked to help spread the word and promote the drop-off locations:
- The Shoppes at the Finish Line, 809 Court Street, Utica
- Deerfield Fire House, 5476 Trenton Road, Utica
- Whitesboro American Legion Post 1113, 110 Main Street, Whitesboro
- Whitesboro Police Department, 40 Roosevelt Drive, Whitesboro (back lot shed)
- Parkway Recreation Center, 220 Memorial Parkway, Utica
- CNY Veteran’s Outreach Center, 726 Washington Street, Utica
Contributions will help put a smile on the face of local youth and also promote health and wellness.
In 2012, Utica Safe Schools gave away 671 new and refurbished bikes, new helmets and t-shirts. The children have the opportunity to pick out a bike and have it looked at by a trained bike mechanic from the community who taught the youth how to fix and maintain their bike. In 2013, Utica Safe Schools hope to give away 700 bicycles, new helmets and this year bike locks.
For more information or for more information contact Natalie Zumpano at (315) 601-8934 or firstname.lastname@example.org.