By: Kim Dunne, Media Manager
All experiences girls have in Girl Scouting incorporate the three keys to leadership: Discovery, Connect, and Take Action. Through the Girl Scout Leadership Experience girls Discover what their interests are; Connect with others in their community with the same interests as them; and then Take Action to help make the world a better place. When girls Take Action in their communities, not only are they making the world a better place, but they can gain skills in one or more of our outcomes, such as:
- Girls can identify community needs.
- Girls are resourceful problem solvers.
- Girls advocate for themselves and others, locally and globally.
- Girls educate and inspire others to act.
- Girls feel empowered to make a difference in the world.
If you’re looking for ideas to take action in your community – consider one of these projects to get you started!
- Body Image: A Girl Scouts of NYPENN Pathways Take Action Project
- Collection Drive for the Rescue Mission serving Broome, Cayuga, Onondaga, and Tompkins counties
- Holiday Decorations for Rescue Mission Shelters
If you are doing any Take Action projects with your troops – share them with us! We’d love to hear about them and you might inspire others to do similar projects!