By: Kim Dunne, Media Manager
As Girl Scouts spending time outdoors, celebrating and enjoying the environment, and helping to take care of it, is part of what we do!
Here are some of the great programs coming up where we are celebrating our environment!
- Horse Fan Badge Program at the Reisling Ridge Stables in Penn Yan on April 26. At this program girls will learn how to groom and tack a horse. Then girls will take a short ride around the arena to get some saddle time. Registration for this program is closed.
- Animal Habitats at the Rogers Environmental Education Center in Sherburne on April 26. Girls will learn about wild animals, investigate an animal habitat, create an animal house, explore endangered habitats, and help protect animals, all while earning the Animal Habitats badge. Registration for this program is closed.
- Party in the Park at Franklin Field in Rome on April 27. This is a community wide Take Action Project in honor of Earth Day! Participants will be cleaning up the parks and the Mohawk River Trail in the city of Rome and then enjoy some pizza as a celebration following the clean-up. Registration for this program is closed.
- Ms Fix It at Camp Trefoil on May 10. Girls will learn how to make basic repairs while helping to spruce up the camp. Girls will also learn how to take an energy audit if our buildings and learn about solar energy. The cost to attend is $8 per girl and the registration deadline is April 25.
- Be A Hiker at the Rogers Environmental Education Center in Sherburne on May 10. Girls will learn everything they need to know about going for a hike. You’ll decide where to go, try out a hiking skill, pick the right gear, pack a snack for energy, and then go on a hike. The cost to attend is $10 and the registration deadline is April 28.
- Rainbow World Jamboree at Camp Hoover on May 16. Girls put their camping skills to the test. Girls and Leaders compete in camp skill challenges such as outdoor cooking, shelter building, lashing, knot tying and much more. It’s a weekend filled with whacky competitions and loads of fun! Registration for this program is full.
- Whitewater Rafting in North River on May 31. This wilderness rafting trip takes girls through gorgeous Adirondack scenery and over thrilling whitewater rapids. Enjoy a fun filled day on the Hudson River. This trip includes a wet suit, snacks, and a barbecue to celebrate your accomplishments. The cost is $65 and the registration deadline is May 9.
- Play in the Dirt at Camp Trefoil on June 14. Girls will help us plant our raised garden beds and learn about plants, seeds, water, and soil. Girls will be able to explore our new greenhouse and discover how it works! The cost is $8 and the registration deadline is May 30.
These are just some of the many programs that we offer that allow girls to get outside, explore the environment we live in and help make the world a better place! To view more programs we offer, click here.
Tell us how your girls are participating in Earth Day this year!