Girl Scout Convention (#gsc14) is right around the corner – October 16-19, to be exact – and we couldn’t be more excited! From past experiences, we’ve made new friends, reconnected with the old, and created priceless memories that would for sure go down in the “Best of Girl Scout Convention” history books (if such a thing existed). The list is endless, but here are the top 10 reasons we’re super excited for #gsc14:
10. Spectacular Salt Lake City! Convention is taking place in this vibrant city with amazing attractions and activities. From two history museums, theater, opera, ballet, and the symphony, the hundreds of restaurants and cafes featuring a variety of cuisines and price points – there’s a lot to see, do, and enjoy!
9. Dancing. Singing. From the opening ceremony to the final night’s dance party, with tons of sing-a-longs and singers in between, there’s going to be lots of dancing and singing – and lots of reasons to dance and sing!
8. Endless inspiration and entertainment. The chance to rub elbows with and get inspired by an amazing roster of speakers, entertainers, and accomplished women, men, and girls – news makers, leaders, policy makers, the ten National Young Women of Distinction, and celebrities from across the country and around the world – who will converge to celebrate and advocate on behalf of girls.
7. Outdoor recreation galore. Explore the natural wonders of Utah! Visitors can enjoy golfing, biking, and hiking in the magnificent mountain areas, which, in October, are bursting with beautiful autumn colors.
6. The Hall of Experiences. We’ve planned a lot of interactive, affordable, and inspiring fun for families, troops, and day trippers! Want to climb a treehouse? Meet the Harlem Globetrotters? Hear from esteemed experts? Meet Girl Scouts and Girl Guides from all over the globe? Try your hand at LPGA mini-golf? Reunite with fellow alumnae? Learn a new tip or two for your troop? Then join us for a day or three in the Hall of Experiences!
5. Five Fabulous Theme Dinners on Saturday. Based on beloved Girl Scout program topics – “Imagine Your STEM Future,” “Fit & Focused,” “Dollars & Sense,” “Outdoor Extravaganza,” and “Celebrating Cultural Arts” – these immersive events (including a full sit-down meal) will have you celebrating with your peers, feeling inspired by the speakers, and reconnecting with your inner girl. By the end, you’ll have feasted on plenty of delicious food for thought, been given a gift bag of goodies, and be empowered to take action when you return back to your community!
4. Girl Scout History Conference – Discover, Connect, Archives in Action! Whether you’re a volunteer, staff, alumna or supporter of Girl Scouts, you won’t want to miss this year’s Girl Scout History Conference (October 14-16, just before the start of the convention) for an opportunity to learn about our rich ties to U.S. and world history. While these conferences are always history in the making, this year is guaranteed to be especially noteworthy because Stacy A. Cordery, a writer who penned a fascinating and thoroughly researched biography of Juliette Gordon Low, will deliver the keynote address.
3. Girl Scout University. Back by popular demand, Girl Scout University is again offering many interactive, thought-provoking, and fun learning workshops. Our top-notch facilitators have created hands-on learning that is far from school like. Be the first to learn new tips and techniques to enhance your mentoring of girls and broader your own overall skillset. Workshops start on Wednesday, the day before convention kicks off!
2. Girl Scout Leadership Institute (GSLI). A team of Girl Scouts has planned everything for this unbelievable conference that presents girls ages 14 and older with three days of leadership skill-building activities tied to the Girl Scout Leadership Experience (GSLE). For many girls, GSLI is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to work with other girls on solutions to issues they’re passionate about and create action plans so that they are ready to make an impact when they return home. Through GSLI, each girls has the opportunity to make new friends and develop important skills – all while having fun!
And the number one reasons we’re super excited for 2014 convention is…
1. The chance to discover all the great things Girl Scouts do, to connect with friends old and new, and to take action to help girls change the world!
Let’s Convention! To learn more and register, go to www.girlscouts.org/convention.